Frequently Asked Questions


 What are the City Hall's office hours?

City Hall is open from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday thru Friday. 

Observed Holiday - Office Closed
New Year's Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Fourth of July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day and following Friday
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day

 What options do I have for paying my utility bills?

All utility bill payment are due by the 15th of every month.  If payment is not received by the following day, a notice is sent out alotting another 12 days to make payment before disconnection.  If payment is not received by that date given, then you will have 24 hours notice before disconnection occurs unless payment arrangements are made.

To pay your bills, you may do so at City Hall during office hours with cash, money order, check, or credit/debit cards.  Service charges apply for credit/debit card payments.  You can also make payments online through the website at:

Don't want to write a check every month or come in to the office to pay?  You can have your payment automatically withdrawn from your selected bank account each month free of charge.  Please contact City Hall for details.

If you are unable to make payment during office hours, you may choose to put your payment in the drop box on the east side of our building.  Please attach your payment stub and payment to one another, we prefer no cash in the drop box, but if you must, it and the payment stub needs to be sealed in an envelope with your name, and the amount notated on the outside.

 I'm moving to town...what is required to put utilities in my name?

You will need to call or stop by City Hall during the hours of 8 AM - 4 PM to fill out a utility application and pay your utility deposit.  Utilities cannot be changed over/connected until the deposit is paid in full. Once all this is taken care of, then utilities will be switched.

All electric deposits are determined by the two highest electric usages during the prior 12 months.  The water deposit is a flat $30.00.  The utility deposit must be paid in full before services will be changed into the new customers name.  For a deposit to be returned in full, the customer must have no penalties applied to their account for 12 consecutive months, or if they move away, their final bill must be paid in full.

 Who do I contact if I have a complaint?

Please complete this form and submit it to the City Clerks Office


 Food Guidance After a Water Boil Order

 If there is a power outage, who do I contact?

If there is a power outage within the City of Dysart, please contact in the following order until you are able to reach someone to speak with:

1.  City Hall (office hours Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm)  476-5690
2.  After 4PM or during the weekend               476-7710
3.  Traer Municipal Utilities 24 hour service     478-2525
4.  Tama County Sheriff's Office                     641-484-3760


 What are the golf cart rules in town?

All occupants of a golf cart shall not ride other than on a permanent seat which is designed to be part of the golf cart and is permanently attached thereto.

All riders are required to be seated. 

No golf cart shall be used to carry more persons at one time than the number for which it is designed and equipped. 

No one may be standing on the golf cart or sitting on another passenger when the vehicle is moving. 

No person under two years of age shall be permitted to ride on a golf cart at any time. 

Drivers must possess a valid Iowa driver’s license and are subject to all traffic regulations. 

All carts must be equipped with a slow moving vehicle sign and a bicycle safety flag. 

Carts may only be operated on streets from sunrise to sunset.

 What is the recycling pick up schedule and what can I recyle or throw away?

Recycling is picked up the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month.  Please refer to the Community Calendar on the home page for dates.


 Who do I contact to rent a park shelter, gazebo or the Community Building?

To reserve a shelter or the Gazebo at the park, please call City Hall at 476-5690, during office hours.  The enclosed shelter rents for $25 and the open shelter $15, the Gazebo is $25 8 AM - 2 PM, $25 2 PM - 8 PM, or all day $45.  There is electricity available at both shelters and the park bathrooms are open in the spring thru fall.

For the Community Building, the rental fee is $75 for the downstairs/kitchen, $135.00 for the upstairs, and $200 for the entire building. 

 Do I need a permit for a recreational fire? What about burning leaves?

Per City Code Sec. 28-457. - No person shall allow, cause, or permit open burning of combustible materials. The following shall be permitted exceptions:

(1)Disaster rubbish. The open burning of rubbish, including landscape waste, for the duration of the community disaster period in cases where an officially declared emergency condition exists.

(2)Diseased trees. The open burning of diseased trees; however, when the burning of diseased trees causes a nuisance, appropriate action may be taken to require relocation of the burning operation. Rubber tires shall not be used to ignite diseased trees.

(3)Flare stacks. The open burning or flaring of waste gasses, provided such open burning or flaring is conducted in compliance with applicable rules of the state department of natural resources.

(4)Landscape and yard waste. The disposal by open burning of landscape waste and yard waste originating on the premises; however, the burning of landscape waste produced in clearing, grubbing, and construction operations shall be limited to areas located at least one-fourth mile from any inhabited building. Rubber tires shall not be used to ignite landscape waste. No burning shall occur on city streets.

(5)Recreational fires. Open fires for cooking, heating, recreation, and ceremonies, provided they comply with the limits for emission of visible air contaminants established by the state department of natural resources.

(6)Training fires. Fires set for the purpose of bona fide training of public or industrial employees in firefighting methods, provided that the state department of natural resources receives notice in writing at least one week before such action commences.

(7)Variance. Any person wishing to conduct open burning of materials not exempted herein may make application for a variance to the state department of natural resources.

(8)Burn barrels. All closed wall containers such as 55 gallon drums or other items commonly referred to as burn barrels are prohibited and may be collected and disposed of by the city. The city or its designee shall first notify the owner of any burn barrel by affixing a notice to the barrel that if the barrel continues to be used for burning, it will be collected and disposed of by the city without compensation to the owner. Open sided containers made from poultry netting or other open weave fence like material may be used for burning landscape waste.

 I have/see a pet on the loose, who do I contact?

If you a have a personal pet that has gotten loose or see another pet running at large, please contact the Dysart Police Department at 476-4010, to advise that your pet is loose and to give them a thorough description and your contact information.  Also, contact City Hall 476-5690, in case other citizens call us so that we can call you right away and let you know a location if your pet is found.

 What are the Dysart Aquatic Center hours and admission prices?

The pool is open during the summer months June - August.  Daily hours are from 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.  Daily admission is $4, with family passes $150, single passes $85, lap swim $35.  Swimming lessons and water aerobics are also offered.  Please contact the Dysart Aquatic Center (476-7281) for more information regarding lessons and aerobics.


 What are the winter parking guidelines, and when do they start/end?

Section 26-195. All night parking prohibited on designated streets. From November 15th – April 1st.  No person, except physicians or other persons on emergency calls, shall park a vehicle on any street or alley between the hours of 2AM and 5AM of any day in the given time period.

 When will the City start plowing snow after a snowfall?






SECTION 1.  Commencement of Operations.  Snow Plowing and/or ice control operations shall commence under the direction of the Public Works Department or designee.  If necessary, the Mayor may determine when and where operations will begin in accordance with the following criteria:


a)      Snow accumulation of 2-inches or more covering the streets;

b)      Drifting of snow that causes problems for travel;

c)      Icy conditions which seriously affect travel; and,

d)     Time of snowfall in relationship to heavy use of streets (i.e. weekday a.m. and p.m. commuter periods).


Snow and ice control operations are expensive and involve the use of limited personnel and equipment.  Consequently, snowplowing operations will not generally be conducted for snowfall of less than 1 inch.


SECTION 2.  Snow Plowing Procedures.  Snow will be plowed in a manner so as to provide access as soon as possible and to minimize any traffic obstructions.  The primary access streets, including Main, Wilson, Clark and Sherman Streets, shall be cleared first.  It is the Public Works Department’s goal to have the entire street system cleaned after a “typical” snowfall in approximately 24 hours.  Depending on snowfall conditions and duration of the storm, streets will not always immediately be able to be completely cleared of snow.


Piled snow will be removed from the Central Business District within 48 hours after the end of the snowfall.


SECTION 3.  Suspension of Operations.  Generally, operations will continue until all routes are passable.  Widening and cleanup operations may continue immediately or on the following work day depending on conditions and circumstances.  Safety of the plow operators and the public is important.  Therefore, snowplowing/removal operations may be terminated after 10-12 hours to allow personnel adequate time for rest.  There may be instances where this is not possible depending on storm conditions and other circumstances.  Operations may also be suspended during periods of limited visibility, significant winds or severe cold so as to not jeopardize the safety of city employees and equipment.  Any decision to suspend operations shall be made by the Public Works Department and the Mayor based on the conditions of the storm.  The City will still provide access for emergency fire, police and medical services on an “as-needed” basis during a major snow or ice storm.



SECTION 4.  Use of Sand and Salt.  The City is concerned about the effect of salt and sand on the environment and will limit its use for that reason.  Therefore it is the policy of the City to utilize salt and sand at locations where there are hazardous or slippery conditions.  This provides for traction but is not intended to provide bare pavement during winter conditions.  The City will not be responsible for damage to grass caused by salt and sand and therefore will not make repairs or compensate residents for salt and sand damage to turf areas in the right-of-way.


SECTION 5.  Property Damage.  Snow plowing and ice control operations can cause property damage even under the best of circumstances and care on the part of the operators.  The major types of damage are to improvements in the City right-of-way, which extends approximately 10’ to 15’ beyond the edge of the street location.  The intent of the right-of-way is to provide room for snow storage, utilities, sidewalks and other city uses.  However, certain private improvements such as mailboxes, landscaping and other private installations are located within this area.


a)      Mailboxes—Mailboxes should be constructed sturdily enough to withstand snow rolling off a plow or wing.  While the installation of mailboxes on the city right-of-way is permitted, the mailbox owner assumes all risk of damage.  The City will not repair or replace mailboxes damaged during snow removal operations


b)      Landscaping— Property owners should assume all risk of damage for landscaping, including nursery and inanimate materials that are installed or encroach on City right-of-way.  The City assumes no responsibility for damage incurred to these non-permitted elements as a result of snow plowing and ice control activities.  In addition, inanimate materials such as boulders, timbers, etc. are a hazard and can cause damage to plow equipment.


c)      Other Private Installations—Other Private Installations – The City will assume no responsibility for underground lawn sprinkling systems, exterior lighting systems, underground electronic dog fences or any other non-permitted features privately installed in City right-of-way.


SECTION 6.  Snow Storage.  Ongoing snow and ice control efforts require the use of the entire City right-of-way and easement areas for storage of plowed snow.  Depending on the volume of snow, available storage within the right-of way can become limited and/or create sight obstructions.  Since it is financially impossible and impractical to remove snow from all intersection corners, the City may push snow father back onto the right-of-way area.


SECTION 7.  Driveways.  One of the most frequent and most irritable problems in removal of snow from the public streets is the snow deposited in driveways during plowing operations.  Snow that accumulates on the plow blade has no place to go but in the driveway.  Snowplow operators make every attempt to minimize the amount of snow deposited in driveways, but the snow can still be significant.  City personnel or contractors do not provide driveway cleaning. 


SECTION 8.  Mail Delivery.  Snowplow operators make every effort to remove snow as close to the curb line as practical and to provide access to mailboxes for the Postal Department.  However, it is not possible to provide perfect conditions and minimize the damage to mailboxes with the size and type of equipment the City operates.  Therefore, the final cleaning adjacent to mailboxes is the responsibility of each resident. 


SECTION 9.  Complaints.  Complaints regarding snow and ice removal or damage will be taken during normal working hours and handled in accordance with the City’s complaint procedures.  Complaints involving access to property or problems requiring immediate attention will be handled on a priority basis.  Response time should not exceed twenty-four (24) hours for any complaint.  It should be understood that complaint responses are to ensure that the provisions of this policy have been fulfilled and that all residents of the City have been treated uniformly.


SECTION 10.  All resolutions or parts of resolutions in conflict herewith are hereby repealed to the extent of such conflict. 


PASSED, APPROVED AND ADOPTED this 14th day of October, 2015.